Italian Style Meatloaf
This dinner can serve 8. Less and you have plenty of leftovers or the makings for a few sandwiches. I add lots of vegetables to my meatloaf and, of course, lots of Italian flavors. Meatloaf freezes well and I usually cut extra slices off the loaf to freeze individually to use at a later date. Just defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
- Half a sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups tomato (marinara) sauce, divided
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (I use grass-fed beef)
- 1 cup Italian flavored dried bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten slightly
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, eggs, vegetables, bread crumbs, 1 cup of the tomato sauce, seasonings and parsley with your hands until thoroughly mixed.
Form into a loaf and put into a rectangular baking pan with 2-inch high sides.
Bake the meatloaf in the oven for 1 hour. Pour the remaining 1 cup of tomato sauce over the meatloaf and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
Return the dish to the oven just until the cheese melts.
Oven Roasted Potatoes
- 2 lbs small red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Spread the olive oil out on a baking sheet. Add the diced potatoes, salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. Toss well and spread the potatoes out into an even layer.
Bake in the oven at the same temperature and for the same amount of time as the meatloaf.
Sautéed Zucchini and Fennel
- 2 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cubed
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the garlic and fennel and saute until lightly brown.
Add the zucchini, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the zucchini is tender.